Cathy and I decided to take the kids out today and discussed perhaps taking them to McDonalds so they could be monkeys and go bananas at the play place. I mentioned the plan to Sayer and told her that if we did end up there I'd bring along her workbooks so she could do what she'd done before, and work a couple pages and then go play for 10 minutes, then come back for a few more pages before playing again ... She was really excited at the idea. Once all the kids knew that our plans likely included McDonalds, they were all excited as well.
So we ended up at McDonalds. I ordered our food and got us settled and began handing food to the kids when Sayer looked at me and asked, 'Did you remember to bring my math book?' :) She'd told me the night before that she wanted to do 10 pages of math today. :) I told her that I had remembered and that we'd do pages and play after she finished her lunch.
So everyone ate lunch and went to play and then Sayer came skipping back to the table to start her pages. I still wanted her to do her 5 pages of phonics, but didn't want any arguments about how she wanted to do math, or have her get bored trying to slog through 5 pages and be anxious to give it up and go play, so I worked out a system for her. She'd come do 1 page of ETC and 2 pages of math, then go play for a while, then come back for pages again. We did get through all 5 pages of ETC and 10 pages of math this way, and she had a blast playing at the play place.
A new book I ordered from Amazon arrived today. Grid Perplexors. Logic puzzles. I read her an example one tonight and she wanted to sit down and do one right then. It was bed time, so I'm not sure how much of her enthusiasm was for the puzzles and how much was for delaying going to bed ... I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Also tomorrow we'll be reading the next lesson in SotW - Babylon takes over ... again
Bug of the Week: Gathering of Entomologists
4 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment