Friday, September 25, 2009

Moving right along ...

Yesterday we finished our normal pages in ETC 5 1/2 and Math Minutes and moved on to try the new Grid Perplexors. We did four pages, working them together. I think they're a *little* advanced for Sayer, but really not by much. Right now I'm helping, but that is mostly reminding her that once she knows one of the matches she has to cross out the other options so that she sees what is left still needing to be matched. Mostly. But not all. I do some guiding to conclusions but try to leave it to her to put it together. She is enjoying them. We did four pages yesterday, and another four today with our other workbook pages.

Then we read a chapter in SotW. Babylon is again on top of the world, and King Nebuchanezzer thought he was a cow and then, later (when he knew he was a man again) he built the Hanging Gardens for his wife.

Tomorrow we *might* get to doing the discussion questions or the activities for this lesson. If we're not busy catching Cathy's baby (who was due today but has decided to stage a grand entrance at some later point). And if we can pry ourselves away from the other friends who are coming to visit Cathy. Two more mommies for me to hang out with, and four more kiddos for Sayer and Duncan to play with (and for Sayer to be distracted by) ...

So chances are that history will probably not get done, but some smaller set of phonics and math pages will. We'll see how long my ... I mean, her ... attention span is :)

4 comments:

  1. Could you jog my memory and remind me, who published the math book you're using for Sayer? My powers of retention lately are incredibly sub-par.

    And on a completely random side note, King Nebuchadnezzar was always a fascinating historical figure to me. I was sick when I read about all the destruction that's happened to the Hanging Gardens during the war in Iraq. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The math book is from Lakeshore Learning. At least, that's where I bought it. It's available at Amazon. Math Minutes is the name. I think I have a link to it in a previous post, but it's pretty easy to search for :)

    War destroys too many things. Can't we all just get the #@%$& along already? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should say that if you can wait for the book, I might manage to get up to the Lakeshore Learning clearance store and can maybe find you a copy there on the cheap. Hard to say for sure, as they have SCADS of books to sort through (like I mind that!) but the kids have to be kept from tearing the place apart while I search. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what a headache it is to try and corral curious/energetic kids whilst book browsing, so if it comes to that don't worry too much about finding it for me. However, if it happens to jump out and bite you during your usual perusing session, grab it for me and I'll reimburse you for it. I'm just glad you turned me onto it - it's the first format I've actually liked (and I've looked A LOT!) :)

    ReplyDelete