First thing this morning was swim lessons. Both kiddos are doing wonderfully. Had another student join Sayer's class, so now there are 3 there, and still 2 in Duncan's class. Duncan had a moment where he managed to snort water up his nose, which put him out-of-sorts for the rest of the class. Luckily, it happened toward the end of class ...
After swim we came home for a while. Sayer worked on ETC 5, then I gave her a new math book (another School Zone book, this one for money and fractions), then I gave her a word search book. She did an extra page on the word search without any prompting. I had another book to introduce her to, but she asked if we could take a break for a bit. So she and Duncan played with their Magneatos for a bit (with a bit of bickering). Then we had lunch and headed back out again. Time for Duncan's gymnastics class.
This is the first week of the new semester at The Little Gym. Sayer had a karate class there on Monday. Today was Duncan's first class. And he had a new instructor - Mr. Ernie. And Duncan clearly loved him. Running at him, tackling him, jumping on him, hanging on to his calves while he walked, and just generally having a GREAT time. I congratulated Mr. Ernie on surviving the class when he came out :) There are 3 students registered for this class, though today 2 of them had called in sick and another had come for a trial class. Duncan is going to get lots of attention in this class. I think he might maybe just kinda sorta enjoy that :)
After class, in spite of having had lunch right before, Duncan had an attack of the crankies that I'm attributing to low blood sugar. He asked for a snack, but then refused the fruit ropes that I had handy. Ack! I had to pick a couple books up from the library and get them to the post office, and he was not a happy camper during any of that time. Tantrums of 3-year-olds can be quite loud. Sigh. I guess I'll have to re-stock the snack bag in the van so he has more options when he gets hungry and cranky.
While Sayer and I were in the lobby during Duncan's gym class, I handed her the analogies book I'd wanted to introduce her to. We went over the first page together. Pictures of boy and girl and man, with words in between so that the question read 'Boy is to girl as man is to blank.' There were multiple choice pictures for her to choose from. She got them all correct, so I told her to please do the next page on her own. She did that one plus 3 more. Only on one did she have a question. 'Apple is to banana as corn is to ...' and the options were grapes, lettuce, pear and ... ugh, some other kind of fruit. I told her that I figured the answer would be lettuce, because corn is considered a vegetable and lettuce is a vegetable. I toyed with it being grapes, because it was a single apple and a single banana vs a cob full of kernels and a bunch of grapes. She decided she liked that analogy better, though I ended up saying that I thought it was probably lettuce. But she liked the book :)
We're home now, but have another outing this evening. Back to The Little Gym for Sayer's dance class. I wish their schedule put the classes back to back, or at least *closer* than 4 hours apart. Oh well. We'll figure out the best way to make use of the chunks of time in between.
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment