Tuesday, August 25, 2009

History and phonics

Sayer requested history today. I know what she really wants is to do one of the activities or arts/crafts projects in the SotW workbook. So I looked through the ideas for the current lesson and thought she'd like the 'making a woven basket' one. Problem is, the recycling was just taken away and we have no newspaper in the house. Guess we'll have to wait on that one. Ah well.

We still did history. The 'less fun' part of the lesson. We went through the discussion questions and narration exercises. I'd guess she's been paying attention, or at least enjoying the related reading - various stories about the Exodus. Some are fairly true to the Biblical versions, others are highly fictionalized. But, either way, I guess they're engaging :) She was able to answer the questions and expand on the narrations, and she did so with enthusiasm for the story. I think we can call this lesson finished (well, after we finish the night-time reading story we're still working through) and move on to the Phoenicians.

After history, Sayer worked on her phonics in ETC 5. She breezed right through the pages showing the ending -ed sounds sometimes being /d/ and sometimes being /t/. She is still having fun doing these pages. Well, except for the ones with lots of writing. She can read like nobody's business, but is not fond of writing. Her handwriting needs lots of work. Ah, well. :)

Maybe we'll move on to a new math book today. After lunch ...

No comments:

Post a Comment