Monday, June 29, 2009

Managed to squeeze a LITTLE history ...

into our weekend. We were at the Summer Lake Hot Springs outside Paisley, OR, with 5 other families from EM. We spent the days chatting in person with friends we usually only get to visit in cyberspace. There were 11 kids there. Sayer was the oldest by about 2 weeks. Duncan was smack dab in the middle, with 5 older and 5 younger than him. They had fun. They had fights. They got to go swimming in the hot springs pool. And get *eaten* by mosquitoes. And have s'mores in the evening.

While we were there we only managed one day of homeschooling. Sayer started ETC 4 and called it easy, claiming that she could do the whole book in one day. So I challenged her to do as many pages as she could ... then said it had to be more than 7. She did 9 pages before asking if we could stop. I asked her if 9 was more than 7, and when she agreed that it was I allowed that she could stop :)

ETC 4 introduces compound words and endings such as est, er, ness, etc. No problem.

A bit later in the day Sayer took a history test. I'd somehow overlooked the fact that SotW has a test book or I'd likely have been having her take the tests after each chapter. Since I only just got the test book I copied the test pages for the chapters we've finished and brought them along with us on our trip - 12 pages being a bit lighter to lug around than the whole book. So she took the first test and did quite well. She remembers that peoples who move from place to place to find food are nomads. She remembers that a shaduf is a simple machine to water crops and that farmers (and later, villages and cities) settled near water. She did well on the fill in the blank, multiple choice, and true/false questions.

I had a problem with one of the questions on the test. It asked what women and children contributed to the food supply in early nomad and farming communities. The possible answers were (a) large game animals, (b) fish, (c) vegetables, fruit and roots, or (d) berries and nuts (or something like that). I want to know where is option (e) - b, c and d.

Ah well.

So, a tiny bit of history.

Then I pulled out the Kindergarten Brain Quest workbook and Sayer 'played' with it. She liked the mazes and the coloring activities, but they're all too easy. She shared the maze pages with Mary Clare, one of the EM kiddos we spent the weekend with.

And we managed to continue to read from The Lightning Thief last night. Woo hoo! :) And as it's now bedtime, after a day of driving, it's time to read some more. Off I go!

1 comment:

  1. MMMMM, smores, had few of those myself in the last couple of weeks... we have decided that we like them with reeses peanut butter cups instead of regular chocolate. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete