Friday, March 6, 2009

This week and homeschooling don't mix well

Monday we did our normal volunteering at the library in the morning, lunch and a bit of homeschooling in the early afternoon, then karate class and a bit more homeschooling. Tuesday we had swim class (at which Sayer excelled - see earlier post!), then gymnastics. We ran errands in the afternoon. I think. Wednesday was the beginning of setting up for this weekend's book sale at the library. Which means we were there from 10 AM until 9 PM. (Okay, the kids went home with Mark around 6:30, but still, it was all day.) Thursday we had swim class, followed by getting a screw removed from one of the van's tires, followed by lunch and a quick hour of chores at home before spending the afternoon at the library before going to dance class at 5:15.

Which brings us to today. The morning was set aside for homeschooling. Sayer sat down with her phonics book an hour ago and has not managed to finish ONE page yet. So much for getting 5 pages done, plus a history lesson.

After today, our contribution to the book sale is done. Until June.

On the plus side, I did bring home a stack of books for Sayer. It's how we thank volunteers for their help setting up - books in trade for labor. And man, did I labor! Books are *heavy!*

3 comments:

  1. The wonderfulness of homeschooling is that it is flexible with your schedule. You are WAY ahead of where you should be. A break for a week, or even two, isn't the end of the world.

    In the future, you'll find it easier to give some "busy work" on those really busy days. But they are still little. Plenty of time for that.

    Oh and you didn't do NOTHING. You did karate and swimming and dance. (I didn't realize Sayer was taking dance. I've been asleep at the monitor apparently.) Oh and VERY important lessons about civic duties.

    You're a great home school mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been on a break for two weeks now due to unforeseen craziness, I hate to say, so reading this makes me feel less guilty. If you, being the superwoman that you are, have an off week now and then, I can feel much better about myself, a mere mortal! ;)

    We got the anatomy coloring book yesterday - THANK YOU! I'd forgotten all about it and was so pleasantly surprised to find it sitting in my mailbox. Looks like we'll have new material for next week when we're finally back from "vacation."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things did get a *little* better on the homeschooling front today. Once we got past that ONE PAGE that she was diddling over, she did the other 4 pages of her assignment in about 10 minutes. Then she did 3 pages of her Kumon money book in the 15 minutes it took me to make lunch. Oh, and she wrote a story today. Wants to send it in to the Reading Rainbow Young Writers/Illustrators contest. Guess I should go make a copy of it and send it in. It's a whopping 6 sentences long and has one illustration. She has written longer stories with lots more pictures, but this is what she decided to write when she saw LeVar Burton's ad about the contest, so it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete