I picked up a disk from the library last week and just asked Sayer if she wanted to try it. It's a Hooked on Math disk called NumberMaze Challenge. It didn't have suggested ages or grade levels on it, but the imagery on the disk looked like it was for younger children. I popped it in and discovered that it's fairly customizable. Not only do they want the player to enter their name, but allows parents to set it up to review counting to 10 or to 20 or adding numbers through 5 or subtracting numbers through 5, and so on. I set Sayer up to do a review of the first 10 lessons on the disk so that she is practicing counting to 20 and doing addition and subtraction up to 5. She is certainly capable of more (having recently mastered counting by 5s and 10s to 100 and grasping even vs odd numbers and more), but this is her first time with the game, so using review to learn the rules seemed like a good idea.
And she's kicking butt and having fun. :) I wonder how many levels she'll go up in the next 20 min or so, before we get off the computer to 'do math.' :)
Bug of the Week: Gathering of Entomologists
4 months ago
I should go by my library and look for software. I never think of stuff like that. Hmmmm. Thanks for the thump on the noggin!
ReplyDelete