Friday, February 6, 2009

A little more history today, and phonics, and math :)

This morning when I told Sayer to turn off the TV after Sid the Science Kid she immediately went to the kitchen table and pulled her ETC book over and started doing phonics. A page and a half later she asked me how many pages she was supposed to do :)

When she finished her ETC pages she played the NumberMaze Challenge on the computer for about half an hour. Then we read a book called Spaghetti and Meatballs for All by Marylin Burns. It's a math story about setting up tables for a party so that everyone has a place to sit.

And then, after lunch, we did an activity from SotW. I brought in a bag of soil and got out an aluminum roasting pan and had Sayer fill it 2/3 of the way. Then we made a channel through it that was wider (and generally triangular) at one end. I lined that with aluminum foil, and then lined it again. We had a few small rocks to put at one end (the one without the triangular end) to represent mountains. And we had seeds for chives handy (yes, the activity guids says grass, but if we're going to grow it we might as well grow something to eat - and it looks sorta grass-like), so we sprinkled those over the sides of our Nile 'river.' Then we decided it was time for flooding and overfilled our aluminum river. Sayer had fun, and was able to tell me why we were making one end of the channel into a triangle (to represent the Nile delta). Later she dug out some playdoh and made a pyramid to put next to the river.

I've been looking at our model and have noticed that the water level in the aluminum river has dropped. Guess even 2 layers of aluminum foil wasn't enough or I wasn't careful enough and it's leaked out into the soil. I guess we'll just have to wait to see if the 'extra' flooding is going to cause our riverside farms (ie the chives) problems.

4 comments:

  1. I remember that activity. Our Nile flooded a few times a day for many weeks. I really should get started on those lessons. J is back in town so now I have no excuse. I'll try to start on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few times a DAY? The book said once a week, I thought! Gonna have to go re-read that part :)

    We're going to make the double crown today, and record her narration, and probably read a book or two from the suggested accompanied reading ... Next week we start the next chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how I've missed your blog for so long - I have this thing for coming late to EVERYTHING I guess. I JUST noticed your comment on my blog today and I really can't figure out why I never noticed your blog link on your profile before. I feel like a kid in a candy store looking around here, though, and couldn't be happier to have found you!

    I do have a small request (because I'm so annoying that way) - would you mind posting a short list of commonly used acronyms for my sake somewhere? I've spent the majority of the morning reading your back posts and have them figured out for the moment, but that's not to say I won't forget them - my memory isn't at all what it used to be. That said, feel free to ignore my request if it's too much of an inconvenience - I could just as easily pull out my planner and write them down for myself. Less work for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting to see if you'd pop by, Jen :) Glad to see you!

    The *short* list of acronyms is ETC = Explode the Code and SotW is Story of the World. Another one I'm likely to use, though I can't remember if I've already done so or not is WTM, but you should know that one! If I've used any that aren't in this list, poke me and I'll explain them. I just can't remember which ones I've used and I'm too lazy to go back to see :)

    ReplyDelete