Friday, November 7, 2008

What do *you* call the bottom-most item in a list?

I don't know about all of you, but I'd probably say 'last' or 'the one on the bottom.' But that is NOT what it's called, according to both Sayer and Duncan.

I'd checked out a DVD that had several stories on it - one of the Scholastic ones. The kids watched Harry the Dirty Dog, then the menu came back on and showed the names of 3 of the included stories. They asked for another story, and when I wanted to know which one, one of them (can't remember which, but it was *immediately* echoed by the other) said 'the one at the tippity-bottom.'

Makes sense, right? There's a tippity-top, so why shouldn't there be a tippity-bottom?

And since then they've also introduced the concept of sitting on the 'tippity-edge' of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment