Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Big girl bed

You all have heard stories about me building the kids loft beds back in ... February. As soon as they were built we disassembled our double+twin family bed and moved the twin onto one of the loft bed frames, and Duncan and I moved into his bed so that I could night-wean him without waking Mark and Sayer. The plan was to buy another twin mattress after the night-weaning was finished, move Sayer in to her bed, and move me back in with Mark. Well, Duncan is night-weaned, though he still wakes at night ... occasionally still asking for 'bies and being denied 'until the sun comes up.' It's been like this for weeks, certainly, if not months. But we've been traveling a bunch, so we hadn't gotten around to buying Sayer's mattress and moving her in - though at some point we had made it to Target to buy her sheets and a comforter :)

Last weekend Mark needed us out of the house to work on a consulting contract without distractions. I racked my brain to come up with something the kids and I could do - somewhere we could go. We ended up trying to do some shopping for our Secret Goblin kiddos, and then went to Ikea and bought a mattress. Sunday we got it in the house, up on the bed, and all made up. And I reminded Sayer that we'd earlier discussed that when she moved into her bed, if she went to bed in it without complaining and calling out that she 'neeeeeeeded company' for 2 weeks, we could go bowling (thank you, Curious George, for giving her that idea ...). And maybe a few more weeks and we could go to Chuck E Cheese (thank you PBS and Nick Jr for giving her that idea ...).

Sunday night she went to bed in her own bed with NO complaints and passed right out. No problems all night long. Last night she went to bed without complaint (though she wanted to play on the bed for a while, she didn't raise a fuss when I said it was time for sleep and turned out the light).

Prior to my hitting upon the bribe of bowling, whenever the subject of sleeping in her own bed was brought up Sayer would protest that she didn't want to. In fact, she'd ask when we were going to take Duncan's bed back down and put it back together with the double bed and go back to sleeping like 'normal.' :) But now it *seems* to be fine. To quote the Staples button: That was easy! Go figure.

Now ... I just have to get me out of Duncan's bed and we'll all be good. I'm leery of moving out because of his night-time potty training ... he goes 4 nights a week (more or less) either holding it all night, or waking and telling me he has to go potty. The other 3 nights he just pees in his sleep. But if he wakes and I'm not there to tell, I imagine he'll end up peeing more often ...

Oh well. We'll get it figured out eventually.

Hurray for Sayer and sleeping in her big girl bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment