Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When would you serve popsicles for breakfast?

Maybe when they're apple juice and pureed butternut squash?

I picked up our CSA veggies yesterday and roasted and pureed the squash and steamed and pureed the beets (the golden ones - very pretty!) last night while otherwise doing dinner prep. Duncan begged for ice pops/popsicles and I told him that we didn't have any, but I could make some ... then I remembered that we didn't have any juice ... then I remembered that we had ONE large-ish single serving container of apple juice, but I didn't want to just make apple-flavored ice cubes. So I added in about 2 teaspoons of squash puree into each mold and poured the apple juice on top. Mixed them up, had Duncan stick in the sticks, and popped them into the freezer with lots of warnings that they wouldn't be ready to eat until tomorrow.

I stirred them a couple times before going to bed, trying to prevent the squash from settling to the bottom of the molds. It still pretty much did. Oh well. If I'd managed to stay awake longer and stir one more time ...

So this morning after eating his breakfast, Duncan remembered the popsicles and asked for one. Hmmm. Now? Really? Well, okay. Sure. Let's just see if he'll eat one.

He ate two.

Okay, so the second one was after we got home from swim lessons. But clearly he's not at all off-put by the squash. Yay! Gotta love getting a serving of veggies into them :) (The kids are getting another serving now in their Annie's shells n cheese ... more squash mixed in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment