Sayer finished the Grid Perplexors book today. Duncan wouldn't stop climbing on me or interrupting us while I was trying to help her with the logic puzzles, so for the very last one Mark 'subbed in' for me while I took Duncan to another room. Looking at the last page in the book I can see that we have very different teaching styles :) The last page is covered with symbols and equations and fractions that Mark used to try to illustrate how one person had twice as many marbles as another, but only half as many as a third. I hadn't tried to show her the math behind it, just helped her reason how if that person had twice as many as another then s/he couldn't have had the fewest marbles, and if she had half as many as a third person then she couldn't have had the most marbles. Then we'd work on figuring out which of the two remaining numbers could be half of one and twice another. Since we got through 49 of 50 puzzles that way, I guess it was working pretty well :) I'll have to see if she picked up on any shortcuts after being shown the equations and fractions when we start the next Perplexors book :)
After lunch we're going to tackle phonics and math ... and piano!
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment