Duncan's swim teacher made a point of coming over to me after class today to let me know that there are only 2 classes left in this session, and she is darn sure that he's going to move up to the next level. Yay! Of course, I kinda knew that :) She doesn't push him as hard as one of his previous teachers did, and since we had a 3 month break in classes, she is not totally familiar with what he had already learned. So I know he can do things that she's not asking of him, and I'm watching him improve on those things that she is asking. :)
And today I saw magic happen. Duncan has reached the point where being in the water is FUN. And when I say *in* the water, I mean under it. While he waited for his turn with the teacher (there are 2 little girls in his class, so the instructor takes turns with them while those she's not working with are sitting on the stairs) he was dunking himself under the water over and over again, and coming up smiling. I remember when this happened for Sayer :) It's a turning point.
Sayer is a tad frustrated because she thinks she isn't progressing. It's making her unhappy to hear again and again that she needs to practice rolling her head to the side to breathe, rather than lifting her face from the water. She doesn't seem to care that her teachers and I are very impressed with the improvement in her arm strokes over the last 2-3 classes. All she hears is that there is more work needed to master the skill of side breathing, and it makes her unhappy. Two more classes in this session. I'm not sure if they'll bump her up to the next level or not. I really, *really* hope so, because I'm afraid her frustration will grow and make it harder for her to do what is asked ...
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
Awww! Laura tells me stories about Cory being in swim classes when he was around Duncan's age...your kiddos will have to come out and teach their little cousin how to swim too!
ReplyDelete