Sayer finished her latest math workbook today. It was a 1st grade word problem book. The last 4-5 pages included the concepts of carrying over and borrowing. Sayer *seemed* to get it ... I need to keep going with that to make sure the concepts stick.
She's also been introduced to multiplication. I pick up software from the donations to the library - stuff that's pretty darn old, so it's not really something we can sell; no one would buy it. Some of the stuff doesn't work in our machines, and of the stuff that does, some of them are fairly advanced. I pick it up because it's there, and we'll get to it eventually.
The disc with the multiplication is designed for 3rd graders. It's a JumpStart game with an evil scientist girl and a friendly robot trying to save the world from her evil plan (which is to send some 20+ robots back in time to screw with the timeline). Among the various things the player has to do are math problems to power the generator. When we first started her on the game the problems they showed were addition and subtraction. Now they're showing multiplication. They show the answer to a problem and give you factors 1 through 12 to use to figure out the problem. So I'll sit with Sayer and we'll count how many 5s we need to get to 25. Then I'll remind her that we had 5, 5 times. So, 5 x 5. Again, she seems to get it. I guess I'll have to let her keep playing that game so she keeps getting exposed to the concept :)
Bug of the Week: Gathering of Entomologists
4 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment