Nope, things never slow down around here. :)
Swim lessons at 9 AM. New session, new teachers, FAR FEWER students. Must be time for school to start or something! Two students in Sayer's class, and two in Duncan's class, and that was it for the whole pool. Huge contrast to last session, where there were upwards of 17 students and 8 instructors in the pool. Whew!
Duncan's instructor is pushing him, which is awesome! Last session he was perhaps mistakenly put into the same class level he'd already completed, and so it really didn't teach him anything new. Now, we had been away from classes for 3 months, so a refresher wasn't a *bad* thing, but I don't know that he really REALLY needed it. But, at any rate, his instructor this time is making him jump in without holding his hands (which I told the previous instructor he could do, but she never asked it of him), and letting him float, front and back, with almost no support (instead of with his head on her shoulder for back floats ... you know, I don't remember even seeing him practice front floating last time, just testing to see if he'd put his face in the water). And, after his floating, she got a pool noodle in a big U shape for his forearms to rest on, with the U arching around his head, and he'd put his face in and try to kick and glide forward. Woo hoo!
Sayer is with an instructor we've had before. He's had each of the kids at various times. His manner of teaching uses a LOT of play, and he doesn't seem to push really hard. Sayer is still working on arm strokes and side breathing. She is making progress, though I think with another instructor it might go faster. Ah, well. She is enjoying herself :)
After swim class we went to the library for our weekly couple-hours of volunteering. I sorted books and handed them to Sayer to go put on the proper shelves. Duncan decided to help out a bit after watching this for a while, too. Then one of the volunteers came by for me to teach how to set up for the book sale, as I'll be out of town when the next sale is scheduled. Kinda hard to set it up from Oregon, where I'll be helping my friend Cathy around the house and with her kids while she gets ready to have a baby boy :) While I was instructing the library volunteer on the ins-and-outs of the book sale setup, she and Duncan and I went from the workroom to the multi-purpose room where the sale is actually run. Sayer chose to stay behind in the workroom with a couple other volunteer ladies. She was happily ensconced in a corner with a pen and paper, drawing pictures. So we went and talked book sale details. It was a longer chat than I'd expected, and was interrupted in the middle by Duncan needing to go potty. So about half an hour later one of the other volunteers from the workroom brought a near-tears Sayer to find me in the multi-purpose room. Bad mommy! She was up in my arms and stayed there for a good 10 minutes. My poor girl :(
When we were done working at the library we continued on to our weekly date with KFC. Sigh. Ugh. And all that.
Then we headed home for a bit of homework (piano workbook), hanging laundry, picking tomatoes, making phone calls, and other random chores.
And ... then it was time for Sayer's piano lesson. Her instructor told me that she did more pages in the workbook than she'd been asked to, so she was assigning none for this week. And she said that Sayer is playing along with her on the piano for 4 songs. She has identified keys D, C and B. I asked her if she found a pattern in the keys, and asked her to show me D, then C, then B. I asked her if she could figure out what would come next. She got a big smile and said A, then pointed to where it would be on the keyboard when I asked her to. Her teacher gave her a big smile and told her that was wonderful :) Here's hoping the music stuff sticks!
After piano we stopped at the post office to mail a box to Sym, who will be running a booth for Mom's Breastaurant at the Chico Air Show this weekend while I'm running one in Tahoe. Then we continued on to The Little Gym, for the first karate class of the semester. There were 4 kiddos in the class. Enrollment is down quite a bit from the spring semester. This was even after they combined the 4-6 class with the 7-10 class. Sayer had a blast. We'll be back at TLG on Wednesday for her dance class and Duncan's gymnastics class.
Tomorrow morning we get to take Duncan to the dentist. Here's hoping for no cavities. :)
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment