Tuesday, August 4, 2009

All day playdate

I had to work this weekend at the Berry Festival in Watsonville. Mom's Breastaurant had a booth there, so I was out of the house around 8:30 each morning and home at around 10:30 at night. Saturday the kids were home with Mark. Well, with Mark, but not home. :) Running errands, although apparently due to lots of bad timing, many of those errands didn't quite get done. Nothing like pulling up somewhere to see them flipping the sign to closed, is there?

Sunday, though, Mark had to be in San Diego to give a paper at a conference. I could bring the kids with me - they've got LOTS of experience hanging out at the MB booth - but 8:30-10:30 is a long day, and they'd have to help or stay out of the way while I tore the booth down and packed the furniture and made several trips back and forth through the still-going carnival to load the van. So, yeah. Not my first choice.

So I called up our friends Mike and Lisa and asked how their 3 year old, Lucca, would like to have an all-day play date with Sayer and Duncan. Happily, luckily, thankfully, they were home and were willing to watch the kiddos. Whew!

I dropped them off around 8:30 (after a fun morning of having the van not start because of a dead battery [Mark had left a car door open for several hours until I saw and shut it when I got home Saturday night] and finding our back-up battery drained and asking a neighbor to come over and park on my lawn and give us a jump-start). I called them a couple hours later from the event to be sure they had my cell phone number and learned that they were just loading the kids up to take them all to the Children's Discovery Museum. :) Mark's flight back from San Diego got in just after 7, and he picked the kids up. Everyone was asleep when I got home at 10:30.

The kids had fun with their friend. And we're very grateful to Mike and Lisa for their help!

No comments:

Post a Comment