Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I love Half Price Books

We keep going back to turn in Sayer's reading logs for their summer reading program. Not that I wouldn't drop in there any time I'm in the area anyway, but their program has just been awesome. Sayer reads daily, usually 2-3 books every night before bed, and often another book sometime during the day. It adds up to more than their required 15 minutes/day. We mark it down, and turn in the weekly sheets, and viola! another $3 coupon for Sayer to spend on books. Last week she got two mysteries - The Case of the Hungry Stranger and the Case of the Cat's Meow. She read them both the same day that we got them. Their summer reading program goes through the end of July. We'll be sad to see the reward go away, but I've no fears that she'll stop reading without that motivation. Reading is fun :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome incentive! I didn't realize they had a program like this - is it nationwide?

    Our county library system has something similar set up, but Nyah unfortunately won't qualify for it until she's attending grade school or grade school age :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do have stores in many states. They list these as their WA locations:

    Washington
    Bellevue, Crossroads
    Everett, Everett Mall
    Lynnwood, James Village
    Redmond, Redmond/Town Center
    Seattle, Capitol Hill
    Seattle, University Center
    Tacoma, Rainier Place
    Tukwila, Parkway Square

    Maybe one of them is near you?

    A nice thing about this program is that you can end-load it all. You can collect all the weeks of reading logs and turn them in at once. You can only use one of the $3 coupons per transaction, but that's not a real problem. The local store is easy about ringing things up separately if I've got multiple coupons, and they told me that if I bought something that was less than $3 then they'd pay the taxes on it, too.

    The HPB form (which can be downloaded from their website) does ask for the child's age, and grade, but it doesn't require that the kids be in school or school-aged. Anyone under 12. Which makes me wonder if I could claim the time I spend reading to Duncan and get him coupons, too. But I haven't looked into that, as we have loads of books already. On Sayer's first couple forms I put in her name and age and put grade 1, but after that I only put in her name and age and they don't seem to care.

    :)

    ReplyDelete