Duncan was on the pbskids.org website a couple days ago, and started playing games on the Super Why page. One of the games asked him to spell the word box. It started by asking for the letter that made the 'buh' sound. Duncan went straight to the B. Then the short o 'ah' sound. The only vowel in the 5 letters he was to choose from was the O. And he went right to it. He got stuck on the 'ecks' sound, first going to the letter S. I told him that it wasn't an 'ess' sound, but an 'ecks.' He wandered the mouse over the other choices and asked if it was M, but then landed on X. So, yeah, we're working on phonics :)
Another of the games worked with letter recognition, but I don't remember which one. Ah well. He also played with rhyming and trying to match sentences to pictures. That last one didn't work too well, given that he can't read the sentences. I'd read them to him and he'd pick the one that described the picture. I did a couple of those with him, then got distracted by some chore or other, and when I came back he was complaining because the one he'd picked hadn't worked. He'd selected it because it was in the same place as the other two correct answers (ie, the second one of three, so, in the middle of the list). I was impressed with his reason for picking that answer, but that didn't make it correct.
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment