Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Barnes & Noble summer reading program

It's better than the Borders program. More books in the 'preselected' prize list. And you can do it twice through the summer. We did it once yesterday.

We were leaving Tigard, OR to head down to Eugene. We were not in a hurry and I knew where the Barnes & Noble was in relation to our hotel, so after we checked out I headed to get gas, then on to the book store. We walked in and asked the guy behind the counter for the reading log. He handed us two of them and let us borrow a pen. We headed to the kids section of the store and Sayer and I picked out 6 books. While she started reading I filled out the title and author info for the two books she'd read in the previous couple of days. After she finished each book I asked her what was her favorite part of the story so that I could fill it out on the log. Her favorite part of 'Will You Carry Me' was when the mother and little boy started jumping home. Her favorite part of 'Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea' was when they ate cherry sno-cones. And she liked it when Harry of 'Harry the Dirty Dog' played with all the other dogs and got very, very dirty.

So after hanging out there for about an hour we looked at the list of prize books. There are about 20 on the list, grouped by suggested reading age. Sayer picked a book from the highest reading level so that we could read it together. After I'd told her that it was about a boy whose father was a Greek god ... yeah, we're still very interested in mythology :) So we'll be starting Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief in a day or two, when we finish our current night-time read.

No comments:

Post a Comment