Tonight Sayer decided she didn't want to eat dinner. At home this means going to bed, not as a punishment, but because bed comes after dinner so if she's done with one it's time for the other. So I sent her upstairs.
Now, also at home, when she goes to bed that doesn't necessarily mean going to 'sleep.' She doesn't play in bed, she reads there. And reads. I usually supply her with 4-5 books when she climbs into her loft bed. And when I go up there to change the sheets there are usually enough books accumulated that they probably equal her weight.
So, after I sent her upstairs to bed here at Chanda's house I followed behind her to borrow a few books off of the critters' shelves. I gave Sayer 4 books and went back downstairs.
About 20 minutes later Chanda went upstairs to use a computer that wasn't occupied with children playing Curious George games on pbskids.org. So she was in the room with Sayer, who was reading the last pages of the second book. I came up a few minutes later and had to start looking around for more books because Sayer was devouring them and showing no signs of wanting to stop.
When we were at the book store a few days back getting Jaden's new George book we'd picked up a couple flyers advertising a kids summer reading program. It had space for parents to list 8 books that their child had finished reading and when it's all filled out the child can redeem it at Borders or Waldenbooks for a prize. While Sayer was plowing through the fourth book I dug out those flyers and started filling them out. I filled out 5 of the 8 spaces before Chanda was done on the computer and we decided it was time for bed.
Which only meant that instead of Sayer continuing to read, I read from a book about cat mummies, and then we turned out the lights and let sleep come.
She loves to read. Yay! :)
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment