Monday, April 20, 2009

She's listening, and retaining :)

On Easter I told Sayer that it was a holiday, and explained why people were celebrating. We've had some conversations on the concept of god, and she knows that her birthday is also a special celebration of the birth of Jesus, so it was pretty straightforward to tell her that Easter was a celebration of Jesus returning to life after having been killed. It was not the first time the concept of a god returning to life had been introduced, thanks to history lessons that tell myth stories of the civilizations being studied (specifically the Egyptian story of Osiris), and thanks to her thirst for Greek myth.

Anyway. I told her the reasons behind Easter and we talked about it for a while. A week ago, on Easter. Haven't discussed it any further since then.

Tonight we were sitting down with an estate planner talking about making wills and trusts and other sorts of morbid stuff. Sayer was at one end of the table doing dot-to-dot pages. At one point in the discussions Mark mentioned that we'd covered the needs of the dead-dead, and the living-dead, and for the living-living there was no need for any of this, and the only remaining option was dead-living, which was just confusing. Like the dead coming back to life.

To which, Sayer, at the other end of the table, promptly interjected 'like Jesus?'

We all laughed and told her she'd done well to put that together. I caught her eye and told her again that she'd made a very good observation, and her smile glowed.

I'm thrilled that she's listening and that it's sinking in. I'm impressed that she was following along with our conversation at the table while doing her dot-to-dots and that she was able to make the connection between Mark's off-hand comment and the discussion of a week ago. And make it so very quickly! It really came only a heartbeat or two after Mark's comment.

I think she might just be a smart kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment