Thursday, March 26, 2009

Swimming hiccup

As expected, Sayer moved up a level in swim class today. Her instructor said that she kicks beautifully and is doing two arm strokes before pulling up. She needs to do four arm strokes and so have a rhythm before she can be taught side breathing. But Sayer is thrilled to have claimed her dark green ribbon and is now working toward the dark blue one.

Also as expected, Duncan did not move up a level. He likes to play in the water, and has progressed in his willingness to put his face in the water and blow bubbles, and be dunked, but he still hates having water dumped on his head. Hates it enough that when it was his turn in the game that they were playing in class he tried to hit the teacher with the plastic bucket to keep him from dumping water. This provoked a hugely uncharacteristic display of temper from the teacher, who sat Duncan out of the pool and hollered at him that he was tired of being hit. The teacher's style is ultra-playful, and Duncan has responded in kind - but Duncan's play often involves pushing people in the face if they're at his level, which is the case when the teachers are in the water with the kids. So the teacher has been getting poked and pushed in the face for a couple sessions, apparently also with some beard tugging. I don't fault him for loosing his temper (I've certainly hollered at the kids), but I do fault him for not mentioning that Duncan's play was causing him growing annoyance. I can't try to fix problems if I don't know they exist! But anyway, Duncan was in tears because of being sat out of the pool and hollered at. This, then, is the hiccup I mentioned in the post title. I'm hoping that Duncan will not resist getting back in the pool ...

Siiiiiigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment