Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Swim class, ETC 2 1/2, computer math, SotW, and letter writing

Whew!

At swim class today Sayer was awesome. She can push off the wall and kick and use her arms to get to the teacher standing some 12ish yards away. She can swim/be towed while practicing the arm movements. She can launch into a back float and kick herself halfway across the pool. They showed her a couple classes ago how to do a sitting dive and now she's great at them. She is just rocking. :) Next class is the last one of this session, and she'll be getting the ribbon for completing this level for sure. Yay!

Duncan is also making progress, but after his rapid movement through the earlier levels, I think he'll be in this one for at least another session. Still, in the bathtub the other night, when I went in to get them out, his head was wet. He'd poured water over himself! Yippee skippy! Hooray for voluntarily getting his head/face wet! :)

After swim class we headed to The Little Gym for Duncan's gymnastics class. We got there early so we sat in the van having snacks and reading a couple books from the library. Then we went inside and the kids played in the lobby until class started. Duncan thought maybe he was too tired after the first 20 minutes (of an hour-long class) and came out to sit with me. I asked him if he wanted to watch Harry when we got home, and when he enthusiastically said yes, I told him we'd put it on if he finished the class. So he sat with me for a few minutes, had another graham cracker, and went back inside. He did come out again for a hug about 20 minutes later, but he stayed for the whole class. See? Harry Potter IS magic! :)

While Duncan was in class I broke out the next ETC book. Sayer did 3 pages. Then she drew a picture, then she ran off to play with another girl, and then she borrowed a Magic School Bus book about the water cycle from the girl and brought it to me. She read all the things the students said in their cartoon bubbles in the illustrations as I read the story.

When we got home I put Harry on for Duncan and Sayer decided she didn't want to watch (I think she's a bit bored of the first movie, which so far is Duncan's favorite). Instead, she disappeared into her room and started reading. When I called her out for lunch she asked if she could finish her book because she had just one page left :)

After lunch Sayer asked if she could play math games on the computer. She's been playing Number Maze Challenge, but this time she wanted to play Math Rock, based on School House Rock. She sat contentedly at that game for 45 minutes, until it was time for us to run out and pick up our CSA veggies.

Duncan fell asleep in the van in minutes and Sayer and I played a few math games while we drove. After I picked up the veggies we went to the post office, and on the way home I asked her if she could remember anything about the history lesson we'd read yesterday. She said no, but after I reminded her that it was about Hammurabi and the Code of laws that he wrote, she remembered that we'd thought some of them were fair, and some were not. She talked in particular about the one that said if a builder built a house that collapsed and killed the owner, he would be killed, and another about if a doctor performed surgery on a patient and the patient died, he'd have his hand cut off. So I guess some of what we read stuck :)

When we got home she asked if she could watch some Curious George. I said yes, if she'd write 4 sentences for me. She decided that was easy, so I got out the paper and had her write a letter to her Aunt Jodi. I sat with her and reminded her to form her letters neatly, making them touch the appropriate lines on the paper and such. She did well, though we did erase many mistakes and do them again. I'm pleased that in spite of the erasing/re-writing she never got upset or fussy with the task. :) We'll mail the letter tomorrow. :)

Right now she's playing a reading game on the computer. And Duncan is making waking noises in the bedroom ...

No comments:

Post a Comment