Saturday, March 28, 2009

Even sick Sayer knows the 'rules' :)

Sayer is sick today. She caught Duncan's nasty cough a few days ago, but today was different. Today she woke up with a fever and spent about 75% of the day in bed, sleeping. She missed going to a birthday party because of it, but was so worn out that she didn't seem to notice or care.

During one of her wakeful stretches she was feeling a bit better and agreed to come down and try to eat something. On the way down the ladder from her loft bed she said she'd changed her mind and would like to do some homework. Say wha? Yes, indeed. She asked to do homework so that she would then be allowed to have time playing games on the computer.

Yep, she knows the rules. Dinner before dessert. Homework before games. :)

So, because she's sick and it's not 'really' a 'school day' I gave her a very short assignment. Two pages of phonics and one page from the Kumon coin book. She sat at the table and positively *crowed* when she saw the phonics pages - they were the 'easy' ones, which means they don't require lots of writing. And the coin page? It was a 'cheating' page, where they introduce a concept and so they give you the answers to trace over. We covered the answers so that she first had to add the sums of the coins before she could see/trace the answer (1 dime, 2 nickels, 2 pennies equals 22 cents, or 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 4 pennies equals 29 cents, etc). She flew through them and was off to the computer.

Sadly, the 'feeling better' didn't last. When she and Duncan settled down to play computer games I went back outside to continue weeding the garden bed to be planted tomorrow. When I came in 45 min later, she was back in bed, sleeping. She stayed asleep for the entire movie of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which Duncan asked to watch when I called it quits on weeding. And when she woke we found the thermometer and discovered that her fever was high enough to move me to medicate (103.6).

Happily, the fever came down by 1.6 degrees in about 20 minutes, and continued to come down after that. I'm not sure that the medication could have worked that quickly, so I'm hoping that the fever had just about broken on it's own anyway. She's been fine since then, playing board games with me, eating dinner, watching Underdog and Clifford, and now, reading bed time stories to Duncan.

I hope the fever is really gone and that she's feeling well enough tomorrow to help plant the garden! I think she's going to get her own small patch ... wonder if she'll go for flowers or veggies ... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment