Sayer sat down and did 8 pages of ETC 2 (which was 3 pages more than was asked of her), then went gung-ho on the Shopping with Arthur math book. When we started today she was on page 16 out of 28 (though the last one was just the end of the story, not any math there). She was asked to do 5 pages, which she did happily. Then she kept going. I'd read the story to her and leave her to do the math tasks. She made a bar graph and did greater than/less than and small word problems and patterns and fractions and ordinal numbers and pictographs ... And she enjoyed it ALL. She finished the rest of the book. All done. I'm already looking to see if there are more like it :)
She did art, later in the day. She'd read a Max and Ruby book called Max's Chocolate Chicken that talked about coloring and hiding eggs, so she asked me to cut paper eggs out for her to paint decorations on. Then she hid them in the back yard for Duncan and me to find.
We had a discussion about chemistry (acids and bases and their reactions) and then a demonstration. I'd cleaned the bath tub with baking soda, and used vinegar for a first rinse. I put a clump of baking soda in Sayer's hand and dribbled vinegar over it and she laughed at how the foam tickled. Later, when we made banana bread, I showed her how we were using baking soda again and told her that there would be a chemical reaction in the batter because of the baking soda and that was why the bread would rise.
I will point out that all of this was done while we had our handyman over banging away at our walls to put in more built-in shelving. And it was a generally productive day for me, too, as I got 2 loads of laundry done, ran/emptied/began reloading the dishwasher, cleaned the bathroom and the kitchen counters.
So, it was a good day. :)
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
Brilliant impromptu chemistry lesson! I use a lot of BS and vinegar in cleaning around here, too but had never thought of using it as a hands-on teaching experience.
ReplyDeleteCan I just say how envious I am about that shelving you've got going in? I'm fantasizing about all that space you're going to have when that project's complete - you'll definitely have to post some pics!