Wednesday, February 25, 2009

'More myth stories, please!'

A request from Sayer. I've talked myself hoarse reciting myths from memory (we were on the road, so I couldn't read to her). We hit primarily on Greek/Roman myths about Persephone's kidnapping and the changing of the seasons, Pandora's curiosity and the plagues that escaped when she opened the box, Apollo and Daphne, Philemon and Baucis, and Chronos and Rhea and Zeus coming back to kill his father and rescue his swallowed siblings, who, with Zeus as their king, became the first 6 Olympian gods. But also touched on Norse myth about Odin trading his eye for wisdom and his raven companions. And we talked about the Christian story about Noah and the flood. We're not done with Egypt yet (gotta get on the activities for this lesson, but the idea of mummifying a chicken is a bit ... overwhelming ...), but when we get to Greece and Rome we're going to have SO MUCH FUN :) I'm glad I put in requests for the Iliad and the Odyssey and a couple other such books last night - the library should have them in before we get going, and if not, we've got D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths to keep us busy :)

1 comment:

  1. You do know you'll be back to Egypt MANY times. You'll talk about mummification until your tongue tied. I never did the chicken thing. Must have been too daunting for me as well.

    ReplyDelete