We did another activity from SotW on the chapter on first writing. This time we made a message scroll using hieroglyphics.
The scroll was taped together craft paper, dowels, and ribbon. I mixed purple and black paints to try to get to something like berry juice with a bit of ash in it, but it came out much darker than I wanted. Oh well. We used it anyway with a couple of stiff-bristled brushes.
Sayer wrote out another message to translate into hieroglyphics. This time she wrote 'Boo We hav sum treats.' :) I corrected her spelling, but then pointed out how in hieroglyphics they didn't use letters but sounds, so her misspellings would actually be correct when we translated to hieroglyphic characters. Then I turned to the page in the activity book with the translations and she got to work. I got another sheet of paper and tried my hand at writing in Ancient Egyptian ... and it was HARD! Sayer's are unintelligible. Mine are only slightly better. I probably could have done better with a pencil, but I can't imagine having to write this way through carving into stone!
Cuneiform is MUCH easier to write and to read!
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment