Saturday, November 22, 2008

Trying to figure out a schedule

I am not yet following any real curriculum. Right now I feel like I first have to get into a schedule. Of course, learning can and should happen all the time - each conversation should be a time to introduce some new bit of info or explain a concept. But I'd really like to have some sort of plan for time to spend on homeschooling, else I fear it will always be pushed aside to do something else.

Right now I only have one full day at home each week - Wednesday. Mondays and Fridays have gym classes, and Tuesdays and Thursdays have swim classes. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays we're home in the afternoons if we're not sidetracked by errands after classes.

Next 'semester' the gym classes are still on Mondays and Fridays, but the Monday class is in the afternoon, so I can move the swim classes to Monday and Wednesday mornings. This will mean that I'll have both Tues and Thurs at home, all day. And Wednesday we should be home all afternoon. So, more time for me to plan to do things that are 'school' related :) At least until it's time to start traveling for MB events and all thoughts of schedules go out the window.

Sayer is enjoying 'homework' - which is generally worksheets and workbooks. Right now we're working on basic addition and subtraction in one book, and phonics in another. And there's the 3 ring binder of all sorts of worksheets I'd photocopied - that came from a bunch of books so it's all sorts of stuff.

I'd like to get into the habit of doing 5 or so pages of math and phonics each day - fewer on days that we're out of the house, maybe more on days that we're home all day. I'd like to also plan to spend a couple hours a week on reading and history and science concepts. Maybe alternating between history and science, but always doing the reading.

We volunteer at the library, so we already have an almost-weekly trip there. It's probably time to teach her that the library has books on subjects to help her learn more, and not just story books. :)

I think we need to make a special day for doing some messy art.

Duncan will obviously join in on things like messy art, and he comes along to the library and picks out story books. I hope that since Sayer can *mostly* do the worksheets on her own that I can spend time with Duncan then, working on alphabet recognition and beginning phonics.

So I guess right now I'm looking at my weekly calendar and trying to set times aside for these things. I want them to be flexible, but not so much so that they get brushed aside too easily.

How have you set up your schedule to accommodate homeschooling? And once you have a schedule worked out, let's talk about those curriculum ideas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment