Friday, December 4, 2009

Duncan and homework

Duncan is definitely taking a different path than his big sister. His interest in letters and numbers is still iffy, at best. While trying hard not to push him, I'm also including him as best I can with 'homework.' I've given him a crayon and paper and asked him to draw circles or squares or triangles. He knows all those shapes, but mostly draws scribbles. I'm continuing to work with him on it, mostly to help him hold the crayon correctly. If he also happens to draw a nice triangle, well, that's icing on the cake :)

A couple times a week (yes, it should happen much more often) we'll sit down in front of a poster of the alphabet and I'll ask him to find letters for me. He gets about 75% correct, and some of the ones he gets wrong I know that he knows, he's just bored. Sigh.

Yesterday we sat down with a flyer from the mail and I had him identify letters as I moved my finger across the page. Then we opened up a Ladybug magazine and explored it together. Mostly that meant me reading to him, but sometimes it was me asking him about letters on the pages, or him asking about pictures or stories.

We're going to keep working at it. He loves being read to, so I know that eventually he'll want to read to himself. And in the meantime he's listening to history and science discussions with Sayer and playing alphabet and number games on the computer. We'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment