Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Home again, and back to homeschooling

We made it home yesterday at 2. Which was just exactly enough time for me to dump the kids into the bathtub while I half-unloaded the car. Then, when they were washed, dried, and dressed, we climbed back into the car and headed to Sayer's piano lesson at 3. I couldn't find her piano books. Ack! Something about having unpacked them from their normal bag so I could use it on the trip and not remembering where I put them ... Ah well.

After piano we headed to karate, and while we waited a half hour for that class to start Sayer worked on four logic puzzles from the Perplexors book. Then she bounded into class and had fun running around. It was the half-way class of the session, so parents were invited in to watch and participate. Duncan had fun running around then, too. :)

I was thinking of using toothpicks to hold my eyelids open by about 7:30, but managed to stay awake and read with Sayer before bed around 9. I read to her about two of the Ancient Wonders of the world, then she read chapter 1 of the fifth Magic Tree House book to me, and then I read about half of Walter Moer's 'The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear.' Although I'm sure exhaustion was playing a part in the difficulties I was having with it, I'm equally sure that I'd have trouble even when wide awake. That book is going to tie my tongue in knots!

Today Sayer did her math and phonics pages, then Mark read her a history chapter while I got ready, and then we climbed into the van and headed to the pumpkin patch. Mark took the morning off work to come along :) We got two *large* pumpkins (one for each kiddo), one smallish pumpkin for Mark, one teeeeny pumpkin for Maille-cat, and a sugar pumpkin for me (because I figured that if a pumpkin was to be for me I was darn well going to get one I could eat!). After we got the pumpkins all picked out and paid for we stayed to play in the maze and climb the giant hay-bale mountain, and for the kids to pose with their heads stuck through a bunch of cut-outs positioned all over the field. When we got home Mark left for work and we continued with logic puzzles and grammar homework, had lunch, then the kids went to the Little Gym for a 3-hour drop-off camp. They had a blast, and I got a few errands run and a bit of unpacking done.

Tonight Sayer read two more chapters from the Magic Tree House book, then I read about one more Ancient Wonder, and then I read the other half of the chapter about Captain Bluebear. She was anxious for me to read that to her, but complained when I was done that she still doesn't understand why it's funny. I guess we'll keep reading until she figures it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment