Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Phonics .... annnnnd more phonics!

I'm packing up our clothes and snacks and toys and homework and STUFF for our trip to OR tomorrow. The kids and I are heading up to visit our friend Cathy. We're going to hang out with her and her family and lend a hand with whatever needs doing while we wait for their new addition to arrive. Sayer and Duncan are excited about visiting with Cathy's girls - and I've not yet told them that a few other friends will be dropping by during our visit and bringing their kids along, so there will be even more playmates!

So, back to phonics.

As I'm packing up books and workbooks and other assorted homework stuff, I realize that we're alllllllmost done with ETC 5. If Sayer could manage to finish it today that would be one fewer book I'd have to lug along with us. So we counted the pages needed until the end of the book. Thirteen, plus the 4 page test. I asked her if she'd trade with me. If she'd do all 13 pages and the test today, then we could skip the pages we normally do in the analogies and word search and math books. She said sure. And she's been working on phonics (when she's not playing with Duncan, who simply WILL NOT leave her alone to do her work) ever since. I believe she has 9 pages completed so far.

I know I'm dreaming, but I am going to take a goodly number of school-y things for Sayer and Duncan to do/play with for the trip. Cathy's eldest daughter goes to kindergarten, so it'll be a good time for Sayer to sit down and do her work. Right? Right?

1 comment:

  1. Yep...you are dreaming! It's like when I brought a bunch of work dvds and books with me to do while we flew to and from Australia...yeah right...I should have saved myself the trouble of packing and unpacking...but I guess lugging it around was exercise! LOL! Yeah-think of it that way-exercise!

    On the other hand, if other kids are learning things and sharing about it, she may just want to get a thing or two done while you are there...good luck!

    ReplyDelete