At some point during our drive to Oregon I was trying to explain to Sayer how banks work. I don't remember now why it came up in conversation, but I told her that when we leave our money there it doesn't just sit around, it *works.* She asked questions about that, so I tried to explain about how the bank uses our money to lend out to other people who come in asking for a loan. And how those people pay the bank back, plus a bit extra for having been allowed to borrow it. And that extra bit gets split between the bank and the people whose money they loaned out. So if we put $100 in the bank and they loaned it out and were repaid $110, we might go to check on our money and find that it had been working and had earned $5 and we now had $105.
Duncan was listening.
He just gave a lecture to Cathy's husband Chris about how money in the bank gets loaned out and makes money, and we get some!
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment