The kids had their first swim class in 3 months this morning. They did wonderfully. The swim school is MUCH more crowded now than it was in the spring. Something about it being summer and other kids being out of school ... But both of their instructors came over to tell me how well they listened and how they participated and attempted the motions that were being taught. Sayer has to work on picking just ONE side for her side breathing, and turning her head rather than lifting it up out of the water. She also has to make sure her arm goes all the way back in the stroke, not just halfway. Duncan practiced floating on back and front (with the instructor holding him) and put his face in the water and blew bubbles and kicked and did everything that was asked of him. Yay!
After swim class we went to Half Price Books (right on the other side of the freeway from swim school) to turn in Sayer's reading log for last week. And to bring in a few books for them to buy. Sayer got her coupon and headed to the kids area to sit down and read and find a book to bring home. Duncan was mesmerized with all the Harry Potter stuff they've got out on display. :)
Then we ran into the craft store to get some fusible interfacing. I'd read about using it to make iron-on appliques, but over the weekend we got to use it to make patches on the knees of the kids jeans. Wow. We go through a lot of knees. I'll never buy patches again. :)
Then we headed to the library to help with the sorting and boxing of the donated books. Sayer read a couple more books, but mostly the kids played while I looked up and listed a few books online. Then we picked up a couple that had sold and headed to the post office to mail them.
And then, finally, we went to Sayer's piano lesson. Duncan had been grumpy when we were in the craft store, so I'd picked up lunch for them to eat while we worked in the library. Food helped. But a couple hours later he was grumpy again. We'd gotten up a bit earlier than normal, and he'd had lots of physical exertion with swim class, and it was now very clearly nap time. So I got out the sling and he asked to get in it and while Sayer was in class I walked back and forth on the landing outside the music school and he konked right out. Whew! Good thing he's on the bottom end of the growth curve for weight!
Home again and Sayer did a few pages of ETC 4 1/2, then we made a false beard like the one Hatshepsut wore. If I can dig up a balloon I hope we'll make an Egyptian funeral mask tomorrow with papier mache ... Gotta love messy art/history projects, yes?
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
Fusible interfacing is good for hems too... you can cut it into thin strips or just buy it in a roll- its called stitch witchery. You are so darn creative, can I rub up against you next time you're here so maybe I can be creative too?!
ReplyDelete