Saturday, May 16, 2009

What Sayer read to me tonight

Rhinos for Lunch and Elephants for Supper, by Tololwa M. Mollel. Cute story about a hare frightened by a voice from inside his den claiming to be a monster who 'eats rhinos for lunch and elephants for supper.' He gets help from a fox, a leopard, a rhino, an elephant, and a grumpy frog before finally discovering who and what the 'monster' is and getting his den back.

I helped her with about one word on every other page. Amazon says that the story is appropriate for children aged 4 through 8, but I don't see anything on their page or in the book suggesting the reading level. I'm guessing it's probably late into 1st grade or very early into 2nd grade.

Whatever the level, Sayer thought it was quite funny. She also really enjoyed reading The Hiccupotamus by Aaron Zenz a few nights ago. And she's been laughing herself silly today with a book called Fishy Riddles by Katy Hall and Lisa Eisenberg (which side of a fish has the most scales? the OUTside!).

After Sayer finished reading her book to me I read her three stories from the Chinese legends book. Then I emerged from her loft bed to discover that Duncan had fallen asleep with Mark in our bed. Silly boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment