It's been a good day.
We started off re-reading the SotW lesson about Hammurabi and answering some of the questions from the activity guide. Sayer did really really well in the crossword puzzle - not only did she get the concept of the puzzle easily, she also came up with 5 of 6 answers all on her own. :)
After history she went and picked out 4 books and read them to me while I cleaned in the kitchen. She read Toad Makes A Road, The Runaway Bunny, A Bear, A Bug and A Boy Go To School, and Hen Pen's Joke. Then she asked me to get the book on Greek myths and we read about Ascepulis and the muses and Orpheus.
Then we had lunch and made cookies. Sayer and Duncan helped me measure and mix the ingredients, then Sayer helped put spoonsful of dough onto the cookie sheets. We're still working on making the globs of dough be the same size and generally evenly spaced on the sheet, but the little cookies taste just as good as the giant ones! :)
We have a birthday party to go to on Saturday and I've been putting together a block puzzle with 6 original works of art by Sayer. I also thought we'd try to make a bracelet with #6 plastic (otherwise known as shrinky dink!). I got out a large-ish flower shaped punch and punched out ~20 pieces and Sayer colored on them with Sharpie markers. Then I put them in the pre-warmed toaster oven and watched them shrink. Holy wow did they shrink! It was educational for me - now I know that the large-ish punch is NOT large enough (the flowers started out being about an inch across and once shrunk are about 1/4 inch). Also, the holes I'd punched in them for putting wire through to connect them all in a bracelet were so small they disappeared in the finished product. So, hmmm, must find larger punch both for pieces and for holes ... and, of course, must find more #6 plastic.
And then Sayer did five pages from ETC 2 1/2 before watching the Magic School Bus episodes on the human body.
We're going to be walking to the park in a bit so that the kids can play with a rocket toy they got ... for birthday? holiday? can't remember. Fill with water, pump up and launch. I've been afraid if we did it in the back yard it would end up going over a fence and being lost, so we'll do it in the park. And now that the weather is nice and it's warm, they've been bugging, so today is the day.
Tomorrow they'll be helping in the garden, planting potatos and herbs and starting seeds ...
The Sounds of Senna covesii
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment