Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Well child checks for the small people

I had been thinking to call the Dr. office to get an 'official' weight/measurement of the kids since it's birthday time, then it dawned on me that they'd want to have a real check-up appt. So I made one. Sayer was excited because she'd just seen something about vision and eyes and eye exams on Sid the Science Kid, and I told her that she'd get to have an eye test. They tried one last year but the nurse and I gave her conflicting instructions and at 4 years she was easily confused. But this year, she knew what to expect, and was excited to go.

She wanted to dress like a princess, too, so we went to the Dr. with her in a pretty dress, with sparkly shoes and a crown :)

At any rate ... when we were parking at the Dr.'s office I told them that we would bring in our own book to read because the books and toys in the office had been touched by all the other kids, and that most kids were there because they were sick, and we didn't want to pick up their germs ... The Dr. office has installed a TV since our last visit and they were playing Beauty and the Beast. That captivated the kids and they never even looked at the toys or books (well, they never have seen it before ...). One little boy, probably there for his 1 year check, tried to touch Duncan's shoes. Duncan told him no touching because he didn't want to get any germs :)

I hadn't even managed to fill out their (really inane) questionnaires before we were called back. Duncan weighs 27 lbs 4 oz and is 36.5 inches tall. Sayer is 35 lbs 5 oz and is 42 inches tall. I need to go check on the height/weight restrictions on her carseat ... I know it's 40 lbs, but can't remember when she outgrows it.

Those stats put Duncan in the 23rd percentile for height, and the 9th percentile for weight. And Sayer is in the 39th percentile for height and the 18th for weight. The Dr. said we have lean kids. Well, yeah, a diet low in cheetos and soda and a life that's full of swim class and gym class and running around like crazy monkeys will do that. :)


Sayer got to take her eye test and got only one letter wrong with her left eye on the 20/15 line of the chart. She read a letter C as an O. Then the nurse took her off for a hearing test and came back gushing about how smart Sayer was. Mostly because she was easily able to follow directions on the tests, but also because Sayer is very articulate. The nurse asked if Sayer was in school and I told her we home schooled, so then she asked how many hours a day we had to work to get her to be so smart. I told her school was an ongoing process and every conversation was a chance to teach, but that we did sit down with phonics and math and history ... Sayer chose that moment to ask a question about 'what does [this word that I can't remember] mean?' So I got to give her a definition and show her how to use the word, then told the nurse that this was what I meant about teaching happening all the time. The nurse was impressed. When he came in, the Dr. was impressed, too. He gave the kids their well-check books and Sayer started reading hers ... :)

I told the Dr. that Sayer has been reporting stomachaches and occasional headaches, but that they generally occur when she doesn't want to do something and they mysteriously vanish when it's suggested that she go lay down. I don't entirely discount them, as I do remember having stomachaches as a child. But I would guess gas or growing pains for the ones that actually do give her discomfort, and pure imagination and hope to get out of doing something for the others. The Dr. agreed, also suggesting constipation, but saying it didn't sound like anything serious.

We agreed to give them each one vax, so they both got a polio shot. Then they got a sticker, and then we were done. Healthy, lean kiddos.

Sayer was disappointed to learn that she doesn't need another appt for 2 years. I consoled her with the fact that we'll be going back to the dentist again in a month or two. Weird girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment